Saturday, December 17, 2005

the american church

so the past week i've run into many, many allusions to the changing church, or the the revolution of the church. I don't get it. To me the "church" as many people see it around here is strictly an american phenomina. The american church reflects our society with such a scary resemblance we may want to question the spiritual mail man who often drops things in my mail box from the many chuches i've visited. I must admit that the "wooing" has recently stopped. My "ministry" young life, not too long ago, deministered me, and the "churches" no longer receive my business.

But the "church" often pursued me the same way american eagle did when i filled out their visitor card. Express, Fox and Hound, REI, and Chase bank of america often do the same thing too. The flyers I received were basiclly advertisements for the services, musical guests, clubs, and guest speakers that were scheduled to come. The flyers were brightly colored and often had news paper style headlines. What was even scarrier was how much the youth group sections looked like MTV and VH1 commercials. The actual youth groups looked much like MTV's TRL hour with Carson Daily. The kids sit around and cheer for a colorful personality who often introduced musical guests. TRL at least gets the kids to sing along which is more than can be said than some of the youth groups i've seen.
Young LIfe meetings often looked like a MTV episode themselves: quick changing programs targeted at entertaining and keeping attention long enough to slip in some subliminal messaging (the gospel). Strange thing is that the church stole the ministries marketing strategy so now only hip youth groups kids started going to young life. Young Life has always said "hey we're not the church". The irony is that by young life screaming we're not the church, they became what church is. Many churches now don'e look like churches and they're proud of it.

Now the big craze is that we need to look even less like the "church". Maybe this is the actual body shedding some of the vintage clothes that we've dressed it in and trying to get some healthy nakedness so it can take a good look at itself. Or maybe its just a clever marketing strategy following siute behind some of the newer companies in america. To market successfully no one must know that you're marketing right?

Further evidence, I think, is the reception of the american church by the rest of the world. Many missionaries abroad, supposedly, have a hard time because those foreign pagans just don't get excited about home groups. They think it's too american. I'd say we're in trouble if what others see the "church" so much of america attends as so american that they throw it in the same pile with all the other "american crap" they don't want infesting their own cultures. I don't know maybe i'm off. It should be noted that this was written late at night and with a stream of thought styling. hope however reads is provoked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I disagree all that much. I wish I could and I don't know why. I wish I had some reason for why I feel a bit of contempt that the church and the world the church lives in look so alike. Regardless, I still feel like the churches out there have a good bit to offer. My own discontent with many of the churches out there have not led me to completely disregard them. I guess it is because if I were to run a church what would I make it look like? How would I make it different from the rest of the world out there and what would it offer to the people who come?

The church I finaly chose to attend after visiting several in this church metroplex of DFW was one where the pastor had a shared past experience. They also attempted to relieve the pain of those suffering from sickness and infirmity through healing prayer while comforting others prophetically. I guess this church comes the closest to meeting my needs and offers me an opportunity to meet the kinds of needs I desire to meet.

This church isn't perfect and I'm sure sooner or later the leaders in this church will rub me in the wrong way with some decision of theirs but until then I feel I am actually learning something. I also feel like this church desires to further the kingdom and if by being there I get to take part in in it then I will be pretty happy.

I guess the question I think we should all ask about the churches in America or about ourselves is, "Does this world lose anything by myself or my church not being here?" The other problems and questions I hope I can live with.

Anonymous said...

There are a few things your comment made me think about.

We always need to remember that the church (body of christ) and sunday morning services are not the same thing. So when you get upset when the "church" looks like the world it lives in I think then that can't be the church but only sunday morning service.

Secondly none of us could ever run the church. There is only one head to the one body, Jesus Christ. People who run churches don't run the church, only sunday morning services.

I love you mike. I love the way let it all hang out. Keep on keepin on.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was assuming we were using the same terms for "church." When I speak of someone running a "church" I am referring to someone directing the affairs of a particular group of believers. That "someone" elders, overseers, shepherds, and deacons. We both agree that God has placed these kinds of people over different groupings of believers.

I understand the distinction between the church, the universal body of believers, and the church, a particular congregation of believers in a particular place. It really is a game of symantics to me.